Death Cause: Murder
Death Date: 18/09/2022
Age: 19 Years
|Nickname||Sakshi Live Hindustan|
|Known for||Being murdered by Pulkit Arya, the son of the BJP leader Vinod Arya|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 160 cm
in meters– 1.60 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 3”
|Date of Birth||Year, 2003|
|Birthplace||Srikot, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India|
|Date of Death||18 September 2022|
|Place of Death||Chilla Canal, Rishikesh|
|Age (at the time of death)||19 Years|
Note: As per her post mortem report, she died of drowning. Scroll.in
|Hometown||Srikot, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India|
|School||B R Modern School, Pauri, Pauri Garhwal|
|Educational Qualification||A Diploma in Hotel Management Twitter- Aparna Rangar|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Unmarried|
Father– Virendra Singh Bhandari (farmer)
Mother– Soni Devi (aanganwadi worker)
Brother– Ajay Singh Bhandari (elder; works at a private firm in Delhi)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ankita Bhandari
- Ankita Bhandari was a receptionist at Vantara Resort in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, who was allegedly murdered by Pulkit Arya, the son of the BJP leader Vinod Arya and owner of the Vantara Resort, on 18 September 2022. Apparently, she was killed by Pulkit after she denied giving ‘special services’ to the VIP guests in the hotel.
- She grew up in a financially weaker family in Srikot, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand.
- Ankita was good at academics since childhood and scored 88 per cent marks in her class 12 examination, becoming the school topper. She also received the Best Student Award in the Business Studies subject.
Ankita Bhandari in her school days
- After completing a 6 months diploma in Hotel Management, Ankita started working as a receptionist at Vantara Resort, Rishikesh, Uttrakhand, on 28 August 2022.
- On 18 September, she did not respond to her parents’ calls and when the family tried to locate her in her room they were unable to find her. Soon, her father registered a missing complaint in the Revenue police area.
- Later the case was transferred to the Laxman Jhula police, who within 24 hours of its investigation, managed to arrest the three accused in the case- Pulkit Arya (the key accused), the son of the BJP leader Vinod Arya and owner of the Vantara Resort, the hotel’s manager, Ankit Gupta, and Pulkit’s friend, Saurabh Bhaskar. During the police interrogation, the three confessed their crime and said that after Pulkit had a heated conversation with Ankita, they all went to a nearby location to resolve the things, however, on their way, they had an altercation with Ankita after which they pushed her into the canal. They then returned to the hotel and told a different story to their staff.
- Ankita’s dead body was recovered by the State Disaster Response Force of the Uttrakhand police on 24 September 2022. The body was recovered from the Chilla canal’s barrage.
- Her preliminary autopsy was done by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences Rishikesh and it stated that Ankita sustained certain injuries suggestive of blunt force trauma before her death. As per the report, the cause of her death was drowning.
- Ankita’s family was not satisfied with the postmortem report and said that they will not perform her last rites until the final autopsy report was released by the police in the public. In a media conversation, while talking about the same, Ankita’s father said,
Her last rites will not be performed until we get the final detailed report.”
- However, after several appeals from the the local administration and the Chief Minister of Uttrakhand Pushkar Singh Dhami, Ankita’s family agreed to perform her last rites. Calling the incident ‘unfortunate’ Dhami assured the family that the trial would be held in a fast-track court and the strictest punishment will be given to the accused. He said,
In such times it is natural for people to be angry. The government will provide whatever assistance is required for the victim’s family. Police are working, they have done their work for making the arrests. Strictest punishment would be given for such heinous crimes, whoever the criminal be.”
- On 25 September 2022, Ankita’s last rites were performed by her family members at the NIT Ghat of Srinagar. There was the presence of a large number of people at the funeral ground. Many leading politicians from the state including Tirath Singh Rawat, a sitting Member of Parliament and former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, and Rajendra Bhandari, Congress MLA from Badrinath mourned her death and extended a helping hand to her family.
Ankita Bhandari’s last rites being performed by her brother at the NIT Ghat of Srinagar, Pauri Garhwal
- During the investigation, the police came across Ankita’s Whatsapp chat with one of her Jammu-based friends in which she had talked about Pulkit Arya pushing her into prostitution. One of her Whatsapp messages read,
They are trying to turn me into a prostitute…I may be poor, but I won’t sell myself for Rs 10,000.”
- Reportedly, hours before her alleged murder, Ankita had called the chef of the resort, Manveer Singh Chauhan, and asked him to bring her bag at a specific location. According to Manveer, she was crying on the call. When he went with the bag to the said location, he couldn’t find Ankita.
|↑3||Twitter- Aparna Rangar|