Arpita Mukherjee is an Indian actress who is known for her involvement in the West Bengal school jobs recruitment scam along with West Bengal minister Partha Chatterjee. Both of them were arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on 23 July 2022.
Arpita Mukherjee was born on Friday, 10 June 1983 (age 39 years; as of 2022) in Belgharia, West Bengal. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She attended the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Sister Nivedita Girls’ School, Kolkata. She attended the Scottish Church College, Kolkata.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Arpita’s father’s name is not known. He was a central government employer. Her mother’s name is Minati Mukherjee, who is a homemaker.
Arpita Mukherjee with her mother
She has a sister.
Arpita was married to a businessman from Jhargram, but there is not much information about her marriage.
Arpita is a Bengali.
Arpita appeared in various Bengali and Odia films in minor roles. She appeared in the Bengali films Partner (2008), Mama Bhagne (2009), Jeena the endless love (2009), Bhoot in Roseville (2010), and Bidehir Khonje Rabindrahath (2011).
Arpita Mukherjee in the film ‘Bhoot in Roseville’
She appeared in Odia films including Bande Utkala Janani (2008), Prem Rogi (2009), Mu Kana Ete Kharap (2010), Kemiti a Bandhana (2011), and Raju Awara (2012).
Arpita Mukherjee in the film ‘Mu Kana Ete Kharap’
Arpita was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on 23 July 2022 after ED seized Rs. 21 crores including gold jewellery worth Rs. 79 lakh and Rs. 54-lakh forex, along with 22 mobiles from her flat. The ED also alleged she ran twelve shell companies. In a statement, ED said,
We have found documents from Arpita’s Joka flat which indicated that she was operating several shell companies for finacial manoeuvres.”
ED is carrying out search operations at various premises linked to recruitment scam in the West Bengal School Service Commission and West Bengal Primary Education Board. pic.twitter.com/i4dP2SAeGG
— ED (@dir_ed) July 22, 2022
After her arrest, she was also linked to being a close aid of TMC Minister Partha Chatterjee, who was also arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on 23 July 2022 for his alleged involvement in the teacher recruitment scam in the West Bengal School Service Commission (SSC). The link-up started after a picture of Partha Chatterjee and Arpita went viral on social media in which they were seen attending a function wearing the same colour clothes.
Arpita Mukherjee with Partha Chatterjee
Later, a picture of CM Mamata Banerjee with Arpita went viral on social media after which TMC was alleged of being involved in the scam. In a tweet, Mamata talked about the allegations against her and said,
I go for inauguration of many pujas. How am I supposed to know whom the organisers have invited? How could I know that she was Partha’s friend? I do not spare even my partymen if they are at fault. I do not and will not spare my own minister if found guilty.”
Arpita Mukherjee with CM Mamata Banerjee during Durga Puja function
- Arpita’s hobbies include travelling and dancing.
- She was interested in modelling since her college days and started her career as a model in 2004.
- In an interview, her college friends talked about her and said that she was a bright and go-getter student.
- After her father’s death, she was offered his job as a Central government employer, but she rejected the offer and continued doing modelling.
- Arpita owns three nail salons in Patuli, on Lake View Road, and in Baranagar and also worked as a nail artist. In an interview, her mother said that Arpita also owned a production house.
- In 2019 and 2020, she played a major role in the promotional campaigns of ‘Naktala Udayan Sangha,’ which is one of the most prominent Durga Puja committees in Kolkata. At the same time, Partha Chatterjee was the chief financer of the committee.
- Arpita was taken to the Joka ESI Hospital for a medical examination after her arrest in the scam. The hospital declared her fit after which she was taken into custody till 3 August 2022.
- Amid her interrogation, on 25 June 2022, Swapna Chakraborty, Arpita’s aunt accused her of making underground bunkers in her home in Mathurabati Village in Jangipara, West Bengal to hide the money. She also said that Arpita and Partha used to help their relatives get jobs in various sectors.
- According to some of the directors, who worked with Arpita, one said that he could not believe Aprita’s involvement in such a scam because when he worked with her, she used to travel by bus or a second-hand car to the sets.
- On her birthdays and special occasions, she often spends time with the orphans.
Arpita Mukherjee celebrating Children’s day with orphans
- She is an avid dog lover and often posts pictures of them on social media.
Arpita Mukherjee with a dog
- She regularly hits the gym and often posts pictures of her workout on social media.
Arpita Mukherjee in her gym after a workout