Ashish Chauhan is an Indian business executive who is known for being appointed as the Managing Director and CEO of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) after getting selected by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). He also serves as the Chancellor of University of Allahabad, managing director and chief executive officer of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), and member of Governing council of IIM Raipur.
Ashish Kumar Chauhan was born on Sunday, 16 March 1967 (age 54 years; as of 2022) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Pisces. He attended the Diwan Ballubhai Madhyamik School, Paldi, Ahmedabad. He pursued a bachelor’s degree in engineering (mechanical) at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay and a postgraduate diploma in business management at Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta.
Ashish Chauhan as a child
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information available about his parents and siblings.
Ashish Chauhan as a child with his mother
Wife & Children
Ashish is married to Sonal, and they have a son together.
Ashish Chauhan with his wife
Ashish Chauhan with his wife and son
- Chairperson on the Board of Governors (BoGs) of the NIT Manipur
- Director of the ICSI Insolvency Professionals Agency
- Chairman of South Asian Federation of Exchanges (SAFE)
- Member of the SEBI committee on corporate governance to help improve the standards of corporate governance of listed companies in India
- Advisor to Asia-Pacific Investment Council and the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)
In 1991, he was appointed as the officer of the Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) through his college placement.
Ashish Chauhan during his college days
In 1993, he held the position of Vice President of the National Stock Exchange (NSE). In 2001, he started working with the company exchangenext.com, which was financed by Reliance group. While working with Reliance group, he became the chief information officer (CIO) of Reliance Infocomm in 2014, CIO of Reliance Group in 2015, and CEO of the cricket team Mumbai Indians in 2001. In 2009, he started working as the Deputy CEO of Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), and in 2012, he became the CEO of BSE.
Ashish Chauhan delivering a speech at BSE
In June 2021, he was appointed as the Chancellor of University of Allahabad.
Ashish Chauhan’s tweet after being appointed as the Chancellor of University of Allahabad
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2009: Listed in TOP 50 CIOs list of Information Week, US
- 2013: Zee Business Awards for Special contribution in Commodities and Capital Market
- 2014: Distinguished Alumnus Award at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- 2014: Best CEO in the Financial Markets in the Asia Pacific by the Asian Banker
- 2015: CEO of the Year, Diamond Sabre Awards
- 2015: RH Patil Award for Excellence in Financial Services
- 2015: Indian Business Leader of the Year, Horasis Interlaken/Switzerland
- 2016: Distinguished Alumnus Award 2016 at IIM Calcutta
- 2017: Distinguished Fellow at Institute of Directors
Ashish earns Rs. 15,00,000 per month as of 2022.
- Ashish is known as the father of modern financial derivatives in India because of his contribution to financial market policies, Information technology, organized retail, telecommunications, and Indian social issues.
Ashish Chauhan using new technology for stocks
- While working in NSE, he helped in making the trading infrastructure at NSE and NSE-50 (Nifty). He was also responsible for the setting up of the first commercial satellite telecom network in India for NSE. He also originated the concept of National Securities Clearing Corporation (NSCCL) and National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL).
- In 2009, after he began working at BSE, he helped in making BSE the fastest Exchange in the World. He also introduced the concept of Mobile Trading. He also led to equity, currency, interest rate derivatives and commodities to BSE. In 2012, BSE made a huge progress because of Ashish after it launched a SME platform for listing of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). In 2013, he made BSE StAR MF, a Mutual Fund Distribution Platform, which became the India’s largest digital platform to distribute Mutual Funds in 2018.
- In 2017, he inaugurated India’s First International Exchange ‘India International Exchange’ along Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurating India International Exchange
- In January 2017, he completed the IPO of BSE which was pending for a long time.
- In 2013, the condition of stock exchange improved on a large scale since 1875. In an interview, Ashish talked about the growth of stock exchange and said,
You look at the BSE as a stock exchange that is 137 years old. I look at it as a new company that got demutualised only in 2007. We have a new management that is driving this business professionally. And the results are showing.”
- He was a very quiet and disciplined child since childhood, because of which many of his relatives thought that he would end up becoming a monk.
- In an interview, he said that he face a language barrier while studying at IIT Mumbai because he studied in a Gujarati medium school and was not good at speaking or understanding English. He further added that he did not run away from the situation, rather, he used a dictionary as a teacher and learned English.
- According to Ashish, he spends more than sixteen hours a day on his work. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
I start my day doing puja and end the day with puja and meditation. It is a very personal puja, which is a part of my family tradition. My work begins as early as 7 am and I retire for the day at around 11 pm.”