Wife: Sheetal Mafatlal
Age: 60 Years
Hometown: Gujarat, India
|Known for||Being the head of Yogindra Mafatlal Group of companies in India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 7”
|Date of Birth||Year, 1962|
|Date of Death||8 September 2022|
|Place of Death||Mafatlal House, Altamount Road, Mumbai|
|Age (at the time of death)||60 Years|
|Death Cause||Died in sleep Hindustan Times|
|Address||Mafatlal House, Altamount Road, Mumbai|
|Controversies||• In 2012, he was legally disowned by his mother and brother. The Times of India
• In 2014, he was dragged in a case for not settling his wedding bill of February 2000 when he got married to Sheetal Mafatlal in a Tata-owned group company’s Taj Mahal Palace hotel in Mumbai. Legally India
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Sheetal Mafatlal (socialite)|
|Marriage Date||Sheetal Mafatlal (February 2000)|
|Wife/Spouse(s)||• Sheetal Mafatlal (m. 2000)
• Payal Girdharlal (d. 1997)
Son– Varun Mafatlal
Father– Yogindra Mafatlal
Mother– Madhuri Mafatlal
• Aparna Mafatlal aka Ajay Mafatlal
• Kunti Shah
• Malvika Taktwala
Some Lesser Known Facts About Atulya Mafatlal
- Atulya Mafatlal was an Indian business and investor. He was the legal heir of the Yogindra Mafatlal Group, which was earlier headed by his father. On 8 September 2022, he died in sleep at his residence in Mumbai.
- His family came into the limelight in 2012 when his wife and socialite Sheetal Mafatlal filed a case against her mother-in-law and the head of the family Madhuri Mafatlal in a local police station in Mumbai. In her complaint, Sheetal mentioned that all the family members harassed her mentally and physically in her matrimonial home. The names of the family members included Madhuri, Atulya, his brother Ajay, Madhuri’s daughters Kunti Shah and Gayatri Jhaveri, and Atulya’s children Varun and Marushka, from his first marriage. Hindustan Times
Sheetal Mafatlal on her wedding day with her in-laws
- Later, when the family dispute of the Mafatlal family was highlighted in the media, a mediator was appointed by the Bombay High Court to settle the dispute between the family members. The mediator directed the family members to settle the dispute amicably. Following this, Atulya Mafatlal and his two children along with one of his sisters, Kunti Shah settled their disputes with Sheetal Mafatlal. Soon, the complaints and FIRs lodged by the family members against each other were quashed by the court.
- Marushka, the daughter of Atulya Mafatlal, got married in December 2016. Atulya and his first wife got divorced when their son Varun and daughter Marushka were six and three-and-a-half, respectively. At the age of twelve, Marushka decided to live with her mother instead of her father, Atulya Mafatlal at his residence. In a media interview, Payal Girdharlal, the first wife of Atulya Mafatlal, stated that she got married and pregnant with Atulaya when she was twenty-two years old. She divorced Atulya at the age of thirty. Payal Girdharlal belongs to Ahmedabad, Gujarat. She added in the same discussion that she felt more liberated after her divorce from Atulya. Payal said,
While I was married, my social life was more with him. His friends were my friends. I got more liberated and social after my divorce.”
In the same interview, Payal added that in 2012, when Sheetal Mafatlal committed the fake paintings case crime in Mumbai, Atulya was in London for his cancer treatment. She said,
He (Atulya) was in London for his cancer treatment and my son (Varun) was with him. My daughter was staying here.” The Economic Times
- In 2005, his father and the founder of the Sungrace-Mafatlal group, Yogindra Mafatlal passed away. After Yogindra’s death his daughter, Aparna went through a divorce and underwent a sex-change surgery following which she became the eldest son of the Mafatlal family and its 10,000 sq ft Mafatlal Bungalow at Altamount Road in Mumbai. She then changed her name from Aparna Mafatlal to Ajay Mafatlal. Reportedly, the property dispute started after the death of Yogindra whose father Navinchandra and uncle Bhagubhai were the real owners of this bungalow. According to the will drafted by Navinchandra, Yogindra was the owner of the 10,000 sq ft of this Bungalow. Legally India
A childhood picture of Atulya Mafatlal (fourth from right in the second row)
- After five years of marriage with Sheetal Mafatlal, her mother-in-law, Madhuri Mafatlal filed a case against Sheetal and Atulya in the Bombay High Court and accused them of harassment and intimidation. According to some media sources, Madhuri Mafatlal was afraid that she and Ajay would be expelled from their home by them.
- One of Atulya Maftatlal’s sisters, Gayatri Jhaveri is married to Priyam Jhaveri who is the trustee of Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai. According to some media sources, Atulya had bitter relations with his other sister, Malvika Taktawala. Reportedly, when the property dispute arouse in the family, Gayatri and Malvika stood in the support of Ajay Mafatlal and were even dependent on Ajay for their daily expenses.
- In 2012, Atulya Mafatlal’s daughter from his first wife, Maruskha lodged a complaint at Gamdevi police station against his second wife Sheetal Mafatlal and accused her of stealing the precious paintings. Maruskha stated in the complaint that the paintings were by masters MF Husain, SH Raza, and Manjit Bawa and were valued at crores and belonged to the Mafatlal Group. Hindustan Times In the same year, Ajay Mafatlal also approached the High Court when he observed that police were not taking any action against her. However, during the initial court proceedings, Sheetal claimed that the paintings belonged to her. These paintings were found at a Princess Street office in January 2014. This office was owned by one of the forms handled by Sheetal. Sheetal accused Ajay and Madhuri of dowry harassment following which they had to apply for anticipatory bail.
Marushka with her family
- In 2012, Atulya’s mother and brother, Madhuri Mafatlal and Ajay Mafatlal, respectively, disowned Atulya publicly by issuing a public notice in a leading newspaper. On the other side, Atulya Mafatlal, along with his sisters, Kunti and Gayatri, apologised to Sheetal Mafatlal, Madhuri, and Ajay. However, Gayatri moved to High Court to fight against the allegations made by Sheetal against her. Gayatri and Atulya filed petitions in the High Court that the allegations against them must be quashed and the allegations filed by Sheetal were baseless. In 2013, Madhuri Mafatlal passed away; however, the FIR against her was already quashed by the High Court.
- Reportedly, Atulya was a billionaire businessman who had relations with several renowned Indian personalities.
A young-age picture of Sachin Tendulkar while receiving an award from Atulya Mafatlal
Atulya Mafatlal while enjoying dinner with some renowned Indian industrialists
- When the property dispute was going on in the Mafatlal Bungalow in Mumbai, the whole family got involved in the issues. According to some media reports, the family was even fighting over the right to use the rooms in the bungalow. Atulya Mafatlal hired some security guards and posted them outside against his own family. The bungalow was parted into two parts, one side of the residence was owned by Atulya and Sheetal Mafatlal and the other by Madhuri, Ajay, and Atulya’s two children from his first marriage.
Atulya Mafatlal during a court proceeding
- The relationship of Atulya Mafatlal with his brother Ajay Mafatlal was tenuous. Their bond worsened when the property dispute initiated in the family and Ajay went through a sex-change surgery, reportedly, to become the eldest son of the family to claim the Mafatlals’ Rs 40-crore property. However, Ajay issued a statement and denied all the allegations put against him. Ajay said,
I haven’t changed my sex for the property. I had the mannerisms of a boy since I was six years old and underwent the change for personal reasons.”
In 2015, Ajay Mafatlal died after suffering a heart attack at the surgical intensive care unit of Breach Candy Hospital after fighting a long legal inheritance rights battle with Atulya Mafatlal. Surprisingly, later, in a media conversation, Atulya Mafatlal stated that he was not aware or informed of Ajay’s death. Atulya claimed,
I knew that he was critical and admitted to Breach Candy a fortnight ago, but nobody told me of his death. His body wasn’t brought home’.”
Ajay Mafatlal during a court proceeding
- Later, Atulya apologised to the police and blamed his mother, brother, and sister for provoking him against his second wife, Sheetal Mafatlal. This apology was considered consent between Sheetal and Atulya, and Sheetal was allowed to keep the paintings by the High Court.
- In 2019, when the charges against Sheetal Mafatlal went stronger for replacing the costly paintings with the fake ones in 2012, then her mother-in-law, Madhuri Mafatlal claimed in a police statement that 40 paintings along with silver and furniture from their Altamount residence and London house were also missing. Consequently, Atulya Mafatlal filed a case against his mother and claimed that jewellery worth rupees 10 crores was missing from their residence.
- Atulya’s sister Aparna Mafatlal got married in November 1979 to family friend Sudeep Parikh who was then the owner of a yarn-producing company. However, after one and a half years, they got separated, In 1984, they got legally divorced.
- Once, in a media interview, Atulya stated that he was feeling crazy in his own house due to the perfectionist behaviour of his second wife, Sheetal Mafatlal. He said,
My wife drives me nuts in her quest for perfection. At home, I cannot eat pizza out of a box.”
Sheetal is known for throwing high-class parties for her elite friends. In 2005, she organised a party for Prince Michael of Kent, and the dress she wore a bright green sari for the event, and the saree was designed by Indian fashion designer Manish Malhotra.
Atulya Mafatlal attending an event with Sheetal Mafatlal
- Atulya Mafatlal liked smoking cigarettes occasionally.
Atulya Mafatlal while smoking a cigarette
- On 8 September 2022, Atulya Mafatlal died in sleep. He was sixty years old. One of his home staff stated in a police statement that he woke up at 4 am in the morning and complained of uneasiness and went to sleep again. Home Staff said that when he went to wake Atulaya up at 6 in the morning, he did not wake up. According to some media sources, Atulya’s son, Varun was present in the same house with his father. Varun was informed immediately by the home staff, and soon, Atulya was rushed to the Breach Candy Hospital, where the staff informed the family members that Atulya was brought dead.
|↑1, ↑4||Hindustan Times|
|↑2||The Times of India|
|↑3, ↑6||Legally India|
|↑5||The Economic Times|