Death Date: 15/11/2022 Death Cause: Cardiac Arrest Age: 79 Years
|Real name/Full name||Ghattamaneni Siva Rama Krishna Murthy The Indian Express|
|Other names||• Nata Sekhara Indiaglitz|
|Name earned||• Superstar Krishna The Hindu
• Daring and Dashing Hero Deccan Chronicle
• James Bond of Telugu films The Hindu
|Profession(s)||Actor, director, producer, and politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 10”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper (semi-bald)|
|Career (as an actor)|
|Debut||Film (Telugu ; as a supporting actor): Kula Gotralu as Bridegroom in the marriage (1961)
Film (Telugu ; lead actor):: Thene Manasulu as Basavaraju (1965)
Film (as a producer): Devudu Chesina Manushulu (1973)
Film (Telugu ; as a director): Simhasanam (1986)
Film (Hindi ; as a director): Ishq Hai Tumse (2004)
Film (Tamil; as a supporting actor): Kanthaswamy as R. Krishna Rao (2009)
|Last Film||As an actor- Sri Sri as Sripada Srinivasa Rao (2016)
As a director- Pandanti Samsaram (2001)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 1974: Nandi Award for Best Actor for the film Alluri Sita Rama Raju
• 1989: Awarded with an honorary doctorate by the Andhra University
• 1997: Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award – South at the Filmfare Awards South ceremony
• 2009: India’s third-highest civilian honour Padma Bhushan by the Indian government for his contribution to Indian cinema
• 2013: NTR National Award by the government of Andhra Pradesh
• 2015: Akkineni Nageswara Rao (ANR) National Award by the Akkineni International Foundation
• 2017: American Telugu Association ATA’s Lifetime Achievement Award
• 2018: Lifetime Achievement Award at the Sakshi Excellence Awards 2017
|Career (as a politician)||Member of Parliament from Eluru parliamentary constituency (1989-1991)|
|Date of Birth||31 May 1943 (Monday)|
|Birthplace||Burripalem village of Tenali block in Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh Hindustan Times|
|Date of Death||15 November 2022 (Tuesday)|
|Place of Death||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||79 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac arrest The Hindu|
|Hometown||Tenali, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh|
|School||Krishna pursued his primary education at Burripallem in Andhra Pradesh. Later, he moved to Tenali and Narsapur in Andhra Pradesh to complete his secondary and intermediate education respectively.|
|College/University||C.R.R. college in Eluru, Andhra Pradesh|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Widower|
|Marriage Date||Vijaya Nirmala (second wife) Year, 1969|
|Wife/Spouse||First wife- Indira Devi (b.1952 ; d.2022)
Second wife- Vijaya Nirmala (Indian actress, director, and producer) (b.1946 ; d.2022)
• Ramesh Babu (Indian actor and film producer) (b.1965 ; d.2022)
• Mahesh Babu (Indian actor and producer) (b.1975)
• Manjula Ghattamaneni (Indian film producer and actress) (b.1970)
• Priyadarshini Ghattamaneni (b.1979)
|Parents||Father– Ghattamaneni Raghavaiah Chowdary (farmer)
Mother– Ghattamaneni Nagaratnamma
• Ghattamaneni Adi Seshagiri Rao (Indian film producer)
• Ghattamaneni Hanumantha Rao (Indian film producer and screenwriter)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Krishna
- Krishna was an Indian actor, director, producer and politician who predominantly appeared in Telugu films. He rose to fame for playing the role in Telugu films like Private Master (1967) as Krishna, Sabash Satyam (1969) as Satyam, Pandanti Kapuram (1970) as Ravi, Devudu Chesina Manushulu (1973) as Gopi, Alluri Seetharama Raju (1974) as Alluri Sitarama Raju, Kurukshetram (1977) as Arjuna, and Number One (1994) as Vijay. He took his last breath on 15 November 2022 at Continental Hospital in Nanakaramguda, Telangana after he suffered a massive cardiac arrest.
- During his college days, Krishna participated in various cultural events and stage plays. Before beginning his career as an actor, Krishna acted in several theatrical productions with the theatre group, Praja Natya Mandali.
- As per some media sources, during his college days, Krishna shared his hostel room with Shoban Babu, an Indian actor and Murali Mohan, an Indian actor, producer, politician, and businessman from the Telugu film industry.
- Adurthi Subba Rao, the director of the Telugu film Thene Manasulu, was commercially pressurized to drop Krishna as the lead actor as he was a new actor in the film industry, but Adurthi kept the cast and released the film as planned. In an interview, Krishna shared his experience of how he was selected to play the lead in the film Thene Manasulu and said,
At the time Adurthi garu reached the status of top director, he announced a movie with new artists. So when I sent my photo, he responded to it and sent a message to meet him. When I went and met him, he said he would inform me after a month. As told by him I was called to his office Babu Movies after a month and was told that I was booked as a hero. I did four films in his combination. ‘Mayadaari Malligadu’ is an unforgettable movie among all.”
- After Krishna’s debut as a lead actor, he shot to fame with the film Gudhachari 116 in which he played the role of Gopi (Agent 116). In the 1970s, he gained recognition for playing the role in the Telugu films like Mosagallaku Mosagadu (1971) as Krishna Prasad, Ganga Manga (1973) as Koti, Devadasu (1974) as Devadas, Bhale Dongalu (1976) as Shekhar, and Samajaniki Saval (1979).
- In 1971, Krishna, along with his brothers, founded Padmalaya Studios, an Indian film production and distribution company based in Hyderabad, which mainly produced and distributed Telugu and Hindi films. In 1972, Krishna, along with his second wife Vijaya Nirmala, launched another production house, Vijaya Krishna movies.
- Krishna became the first producer to introduce the first cinemascope film Alluri Seetharama Raju (1974) and the first 70 mm film Simhasanam (1986) in the Telugu film industry. Hindustan Times In an interview, on being asked about the challenges he faced while shooting for the film Alluri Seetharama Raju, Krishna replied,
The producer announced plans for making Alluri Seetharama Raju with Sobhan Babu. But the film did not start. He then gave the story to me as I showed interest in producing the film.When I was 30 I acted in this film. From age 10 to 30, I was inspired by many incidents that lead to the making of this film. We all went to Chintapalli forest near Visakhapatnam for the shooting. At that time, equipments had to be transported using cranes and we had a lot of difficulties. Even people from the industry were discouraging me. But I believed in the story and approached other distributors.” Deccan Chronicle
- Krishna created a unique record of appearing in 17 films as an actor in a single year in 1972. Deccan Chronicle
- In an interview, Krishna revealed that N. T. Rama Rao and Akkineni Nagarjuna are one of his favourite actors from the Telugu film industry.
- In 1974, Krishna’s 100th film, Alluri Sita Ramaraju was released in which he played the role of Alluri Sitarama Raju. His 200th film as an actor was Eenadu (1982). Krishna’s 300th film, Telugu Veera Levara, was released in 1995. Deccan Chronicle
- Krishna is known for introducing the first Eastman colour film Eenadu in Telugu cinema in 1982. He launched the first DTS film Telugu Veera Levara in 1995. Krishna introduced the concept of spy and cowboy films with Gudachari 116 (1966) and Mosagallaku Mosagadu (1971) respectively. Deccan Chronicle
- Krishna was a loyal follower of the Indian National Congress and was highly influenced by the sixth prime minister of India Rajiv Gandhi. He joined the Congress party in 1984 after being invited by the late Rajiv Gandhi. Krishna was elected as a member of parliament from the Eluru parliamentary constituency in 1989. In 1991, he, however, lost the election from the same constituency to Bolla Bulli Ramaiah of the Telugu Desam Party. Krishna quit politics after the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, which occurred as a result of a suicide bombing in Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu on 21 May 1991.
- Krishna created a unique record of acting in 48 films with his second wife, Vijayanirmala, and in 47 films with Jayaprada, an Indian actress and politician. Deccan Chronicle
- Krishna directed a few Telugu films like Sankharavam (1987), Mugguru Kodukulu (1988), Koduku Diddina Kapuram (1989), Balachandrudu (1990) and Anna Thammudu (1990) in which he cast his son, Mahesh Babu.
- After the demise of Krishna’s second wife Vijaya Nirmala in 2019, on the occasion of her 74th birth anniversary, Krishna, along with his family members, inaugurated her bronze statue at his residence in Nanakramguda in Hyderabad in 2020.
Krishna (third from the left), along with his family members, on the inauguration ceremony of his late wife Vijaya Nirmala’s bronze statue at his residence in Hyderabad
- At the request of Green India Challenge founder and politician Joginapally Santosh Kumar, Krishna, on 31 May 2021, on the occasion of his 78th birthday, participated in the Green India Challenge by planting saplings at his residence in Nanakramguda, Hyderabad.
Krishna planting saplings at his residence in Hyderabad on the occasion of his 79th birthday
- In an interview, Mahesh Babu, on being asked about his opinion on making a biopic on his father Krishna, he replied
Krishna’s biopic is a to be watched film for Telugu people. But I could never make an attempt even to portray my father’s role in the film. I would surely be interested to be a part of the film as a producer and give all the support if anyone does make such an attempt. I will surely encourage such an idea. I am so excited about it.”
- On 15 November 2022, Krishna passed away at Continental Hospital in Hyderabad after he suffered a cardiac arrest. On 14 November 2022, Krishna, after he suffered a heart attack, was immediately taken to the hospital in an unconscious state. The doctors revived him after 20 minutes of CPR, but his condition deteriorated, and he breathed his last at around 4:09 am. The Hindu
|↑1||The Indian Express|
|↑3, ↑5||The Hindu|
|↑4, ↑10, ↑11, ↑12, ↑13||Deccan Chronicle|
|↑6, ↑8||Hindustan Times|
|↑7, ↑14||The Hindu|