Pony Verma is an Indian female choreographer who has worked in the Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu film industry for more than 2 decades. She has won many awards for her choreography.
Rashmi Verma was born on Thursday, 15 September 1977 (age 45 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. She was born prematurely and her skin was soft and wrinkled, so, her grandmother gave her the name Pony, which was derived from the Punjabi word Pona, used for cloth used for keeping chapatis. Later, she changed her name to Pony Verma. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She attended Scholars Academy school, which she left in 1993. She completed her graduation from Prahladrai Dalmia Lions College. She went on to become a distinguished choreographer in the Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu film industry. She was passionate about dancing since her childhood and later, became a professional choreographer.
A childhood picture of Pony Verma
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about her parents. She has a brother Jatish Verma, who is a film producer.
Pony Verma with her father
Mother of Pony Verma (Left)
Pony Verma with her brother Jatish Verma
Husband & Children
She married popular actor Prakash Raj on 24 August 2010. They met on the sets of a movie, in which Pony was choreographing a song. She is his second wife. The couple has a son named Vedanth born on 3 February 2016.
Pony Verma with her son Vedanth and husband Prakash Raj
In an interview, she credited Tamil film director Priyadarshan and cinematographer S. Kumar for helping her during her initial years. Her debut movie as a choreographer was Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar in 2000. She worked as a choreographer in the superhit Hindi movie Hungama in 2003, in Garam Masala in 2005, in Bhool Bhulaiyaa in 2007, in Chandni Chowk to China in 2009, in Guzaarish in 2010, in The Dirty Picture in 2011, and in Tiger Zinda Hai in 2018. She worked as a choreographer in the Telugu movie Badrinath in 2011 and in the Tamil movie Abhiyum Naanum in 2008.
Pony Verma choreographing the song Oh La La La of the movie Dirty Picture
She has done a reality show ‘Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena’ as a choreographer, aired on Colors TV. She worked in Chak Dhoom Dhoom as a judge alongside famous choreographers Saroj Khan and Bosco Caeser, aired on Colors TV, as a judge in the dance reality show Bharat Ki Shan aired on Doordarshan, and as a judge in the 5th season of the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhla Jaa UAE alongside Sandip Soparkar aired on Colors TV.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Zee Cine Award for Best Choreography for the song Oh La La La of the movie Dirty Picture in 2012
- Lions Gold Awards for best choreography for the movie Dirty Picture in 2012
- GR8! Women’s award in 2015
Pony Verma with Gr8! Women’s award in 2015
- Inspiration: Priyadarshan and Raju Sundaram
- Prakash Raj films: Vasoolraja MBBS and Gilli
- On 9 June 2011, she launched her dance school named India School of Performing Arts (ISPA) in Mumbai.
- On 24 August 2021, Pony remarried her husband Prakash Raj as her son Vedanth wanted to see their marriage.
- She has a dog named Krisper.
Pony Verma with her dog Krisper
- She likes to ride motorbikes.
Pony Verma riding a bike
- In 2014, she has worked as an Assistant Director of the Tamil movie Un Samayal Arayil, which was directed by Prakash Raj.
- Indian cricketer S. Sreesanth is her Rakhi brother. They met on the sets of the reality show ‘Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena’ which aired on Colors TV.
Pony Verma tying rakhi to Indian cricketer S. Sreesanth
- She is a relative of Indian actor Govinda.
- During her initial years, she worked on the Introduction song for a popular show of Doordarshan; however, after a week, she was removed from the choreography team.