Hometown: Jharkhand, India
Marital Status: Married
Profession: News Anchor
|Known for||Being arrested by the Ghaziabad police for airing a fake news video of Indian National Congress President Rahul Gandhi on 1 July 2022.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 172 cm
in meters– 1.72 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 8”
|Birthplace||Deoghar, Jharkhand, India|
|Hometown||Deoghar, Jharkhand, India|
|School||Modern School, Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||He completed his school education from Modern School, Delhi Rohit Ranjan’s LinkedIn Account|
|Controvery||On 1 July 2022, he was arrested and later released for aring a fabricated news video against INC president Rahul Gandhi citation|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known|
Son– Name Not Known
Note: He has a daughter. Rohit Ranjan’s Facebook Account
|Siblings||He has a brother.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rohit Ranjan
- Rohit Ranjan is an Indian television news anchor. On 5 July 2022, he came into the limelight when he was taken into custody by the Noida police days after running a misleading video of Indian National Congress president Rahul Gandhi. The channel later apologised for the same.
- Rohit Ranjan hails from Delhi, India. Soon after completing his studies in Mass Communication, Rohit Ranjan started working with the P& News channel in September 2010 as an Anchor. He served the role till May 2015.
In June 2015, Rohit Ranjan started working as an Anchor cum Assignment Head at Zee Media Corporation Limited, and worked at the position till April 2016.
In April 2018, Rohit Ranjan joined TV24 news channel as its Editor, and served the organisation till February 2019.
- He then served News World India as its Executive Producer from April 2019 to July 2020.
- In July 2020, Rohit Ranjan started working as a News Anchor at Zee Media Corporation Limited.
Rohit Ranjan while telecasting a news show on Zee News Channel
- On 1 July 2022, in a conversation with a media house, Senior Superintendent of Raipur Police Prashant Agrawal stated that a case was registered against Rohit Ranjan on a complaint by Congress MLA Devendra Yadav for promoting enmity between different groups and outraging the religious feelings of the Indian citizens by telecasting a fake video of Rahul Gandhi on his show on Zee News.
- In the video, Rahul Gandhi was forgiving those who attacked his Wayanad office and was calling them children. On 1 July 2022, the Zee News channel edited and showed the video on national television in such a way that Rahul Gandhi was seen as forgiving the killers of Udaipur tailor Kanhaiya Lal.
- Soon, a complaint was lodged by Congress MLA Devendra Yadav for telecasting misleading news about Rahul Gandhi on the Zee TV news channel. Then the two police teams from Ghaziabad and Chattisgarh arrived outside Ranjan’s house to arrest him. The Ghaziabad police officer said in a media conversation that the local police were not involved in the case. Soon after the news of his arrest floated on various television news channels, Rohit Ranjan Tweeted a post and tagged Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The Economic Times Ranjan wrote,
Chhattisgarh Police is standing outside my house to arrest me without informing the local police. Is it legal?”
In response, Raipur police tweeted,
There is no such rule to inform. Still, now they are informed. The police team has shown you the court’s warrant of arrest. You should in fact cooperate, join in the investigation and put your defence in court.”
Later, the Ghaziabad police intervened in the matter and took Rohit Ranjan away with them from his home and said that he was in the custody of Noida police. However, he was later released on bail.
Chhattisgarh Police and Ghaziabad police battling for the custody of Rohit Ranjan outside his residence
- On 1 July 2022, an FIR in Raipur was lodged against Rohit Ranjan under IPC sections including 153A (promoting enmity between different groups), 295A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class), 467 (forgery), 469 (forgery to harm reputation), 504 (intentional insult). The News Minute
- On 2 July 2022, Ranjan apologised on one of his social media accounts for telecasting the video by mistake on national television. He stated that he mistakenly played the statement of Rahul Gandhi out of context by linking it with the Udaipur murder case, which happened on 28 June 2022. Rohit Ranjan tweeted,
It was a human error for which our team is apologetic. We apologise for it.”
कल हमारे शो DNA में राहुल गांधी का बयान उदयपुर की घटना से जोड़ कर ग़लत संदर्भ में चल गया था, ये एक मानवीय भूल थी जिसके लिए हमारी टीम क्षमाप्रार्थी हैं, हम इसके लिए खेद जताते हैं pic.twitter.com/YGs7kfbKKi
— Rohit Ranjan (@irohitr) July 2, 2022
- In the same FIR, which was filed in Raipur, the complainant accused the director and chairman of Zee News, its chief executive officer, and its news anchor Rohit Ranjan of conspiring and spreading fabricated and fake news against Rahul Gandhi.
- On 6 July 2022, the Chhattisgarh Police stated in a media conference that Zee News anchor Rohit Ranjan absconded from his residence in Ghaziabad’s Indirapuram when a team of police was sent to arrest him for the second time. Hindustan Times
Rohit Ranjan at his Ghaziabad home, when police from Chhattisgarh and UP landed there
- On 6 July 2022, Rohit Ranjan approached the Supreme Court after multiple police cases were lodged against him for broadcasting a fake news video against Rahul Gandhi. NDTV
- Rohit Ranjan remains very active on various social media platforms. His Facebook page has over 2k followers. On Twitter, he is followed by more than 48.5k people. On Instagram, he has more than 1k followers. He often shares pictures and videos on social media.
|↑1||Rohit Ranjan’s LinkedIn Account|
|↑3||Rohit Ranjan’s Facebook Account|
|↑4||The Economic Times|
|↑5||The News Minute|