Age: 46 Years Wife: Supriya Marital Status: Married
|Real name||Suraj Vasudevan|
• Television Presenter
|Famous role||Dasamoolam Damu in the film “Chattambinaadu” (2009)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 177 cm
in meters– 1.77 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 65 kg
in pounds– 143 lbs
|Debut||Film: Jagapoka (Malayalam, 2001)
TV: Comedy Thillana (2000) on Kairali TV
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||National Film Awards
• 2013: Best Actor for the film “Perariyathavar”
Kerala State Film Awards
• 2009: Best Comedian for the film “Ivar Vivahitharayal ?”
South Indian International Movie Awards
• 2012: Best Actor in a Comedy Role (Malayalam) for the film “Mr. Marumakan”
CPC Cine Awards
• 2019: Best Actor in a Lead Role for the films “Vikruthi,” “Android Kunjappan Version 5.25,” “Driving Licence,” and “Finals”
Asianet Film Awards
• 2007: Best Actor in Humorous Role for the film “Hallo”
Vanitha Film Awards
• 2010: Best Comedian for various films
• 2013: Best Comedian for the films “Pullipulikalum Aattinkuttiyum” and “Daivathinte Swantham Cleetus”
Asianet Comedy Awards
• 2016: Award for Multifaceted Talent for various films
|Date of Birth||June 30, 1976 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||46 Years|
|College/University||Government ITI, Attingal.|
|Educational Qualification||Diploma in Mechanical Engineering|
|Controversy||• Trolled for making an insulting comment about sacred thread: In an episode of the show “Comedy Super Night,” Suraj Venjaramoodu made an insulting comment about the string tied on her co-host Ashwati’s hand, which is considered sacred in Hinduism. He was heavily trolled on social media over the comment that he made for the sacred thread, and was alleged for hurting the religious sentiments of Hinduism. Onmanorama|
|Relationships & More|
Note: Photo in ‘Children’ section.
• Kashinathan (child actor)
|Parents||Father– Venjaramood K. Vasudevan Nair (retired soldier form the Indian Army)
Mother– Vilasini (Housewife)
|Siblings||Brother– V. Saji (a retired Army Officer)
Sister– Sunitha V. V.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Suraj Venjaramoodu
- Suraj Venjaramoodu is an Indian actor, comedian, mimic, and television presenter. He is known for playing comic roles in Malayalam films. He is the winner of a National Film Award and also won Kerala State Film Awards thrice.
- He aspired to become an Army officer, like his father and elder brother, but in a bicycle accident, he broke his arm due to which he could join the Indian Army.
- Soon after completing his diploma, Suraj Venjaramoodu started performing in mimicry shows and became famous for his artificial mockery of the Thiruvananthapuram accent. However, he was later criticized by some people for the same.
- His debut film “Jagapoka” (2001) was a parody of other Malayalam films, but the film didn’t receive a good response from the audience.
- In 2005, Suraj Venjaramoodu worked as a language tutor for Mammootty in the film “Rajamanikyam” (2005). After this, he appeared in many films alongside Mammootty, and the duo became one of the best duos in the Malayalam film industry.
Suraj Venjaramoodu (left) with Mammootty (right)
- He won a great acclamation for his role as Appukuttan in the film “Thuruppugulan” (2006) starring Mammootty, and the film proved to be the first breakthrough of his career.
Suraj Venjaramoodu (left) and Mammootty (right) in a still from the film ‘Thuruppugulan’
- The film “Mayavi” (2007) in which he played the role of Giri, became another breakthrough in his career.
- Some other films in which Suraj Venjaramoodu appeared in a comic role include “Classmates” (2006), “Pachakkuthira” (2006), “Chotta Mumbai” (2007), and “Hallo” (2007).
- The actor appeared in a lead role for the first time in the film “Duplicate” in 2009.
Poster of the film ‘Duplicate’ (2009)
- Suraj’s role as Dasamoolam Damu in the film “Chattambinaadu” is considered his iconic comedy character.
- Suraj Venjaramoodu is not only well-versed in playing comic characters but also fine in playing tragic roles. He broke the stereotypical comic roles played by him in so many films by playing the role of Pavithran in the film “Action Hero Biju” in 2016. His performance in the character of a ferocious policeman in the film “Karinkunnam 6’s” received great acclamation in the same year.
Suraj Venjaramoodu in a still from the film ‘Action Hero Biju’
- After playing some tragic roles, Suraj again played a comic role in the film “Pulimurugan” (2016).
Suraj Venjaramoodu in a still from the film ‘Pulimurugan’
- After making his TV debut in 2000 as a host for the show “Comedy Thillana” aired on Kairali TV, he appeared as a host in many TV shows including “Jagapoga” (2013) which aired on Kairali TV, “Comedy Super Nite” (2015) aired on Flowers TV, “Comedy Nights with Suraj” (2019) aired on Zee Keralam, and “Adi Mone Buzzer” (2022), which aired on Asianet.
The show ‘Comedy Nights with Suraj’
- He also appeared as a judge in many shows including “Comedy Stars Season 1” (2011), which aired on Asianet, “Bhima Jewels Comedy Festival” (2013) aired on Mazhavil Manorama, “Midukki” (2017), and “Oru Chiri Iru Chiri Bumper Chiri” (2021) aired on Mazhavil Manorama. He also acted in the TV show “Ladies Hostel” (2005), “Ayyadi Maname” (2006), and “Junior Chanakyan” (2015), which aired on Flowers TV.
- The actor also wrote two books “Chirimayam” and “Venjaramoodu Kathakal” in which he wrote about his struggles and his journey of becoming a National Award-winning megastar from a commoner.