Tanya Gyani is a globally known Indian figure in the world of interior design. She is known for her floral designs, home decor and styling, interior designs and product designs.
Tanya Gyani was born in 1980 (age 42 years; as of 2022) in Chandigarh, India. She grew up in Bangalore and went to a design school in India. She got graduated in Accessory Design from the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi, India and moved to Italy where she pursued Master’s in Interior Design from Florence Design Academy in Florence and won the Elite Student Award and proceeded with her education at The Vitra Design Museum, in Weil am Rhein, Germany. After completing her studies in the field of designing, she started working as an interior designer in Dubai (UAE), Hong Kong and India. In the year 2014, she moved to the USA. Tanya Gyani feels a special connection with flowers as she feels calm and has a sense of self-care while arranging them. She shared that she gets inspired by nature and is more into organic elements which can be seen in her work as well in an interview held in 2102 by saying,
When I am stuck I just take a walk in the park. Nature has the best colour combinations ever and my idea of a perfect living space is very organic. So it’s all zen with spa colours and a lot of natural elements for me.”
Travelling and working in different countries has helped her gain knowledge about different cultures and get experiences in her life which always turns out to be fruitful for her work ideas. The flowers’ beauty, fragrance and delicacy do magic to her. She feels so attracted to nature which made her build a brand of her own.
Height (approx.): 5’4″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Light Golden Brown (highlights)
Eye Colour: Brown
Tanya Gyani’s signature
After completing her creative study, she started designing as a product designer. Her background of designing is in interior designing and home styling. In an interview held in 2012, Tanya Gyani shared that working in different countries with different styles like Italy and Dubai taught her to balance her idea and thoughts by saying,
Each city has its own distinctive style. I was in Florence when the minimalist movement was at its peak. Dubai tends to go for the opulent. Designing homes in such varied cities teaches you to come up with your own balanced take.”
Designer Tanya Gyani does magic with flowers in her work. She provides her designs to selected and smaller groups of clients through her boutique firm located in Palo Alto, California namely, ‘Tanya Gyani Design’.
Tanya Gyani’s arrangement of gorgeous Dahlias
Tanya Gyani has designed for an award-winning company providing its services in interior design and home furniture as a retailer, i.e., Indigo Living for nearly a decade. She has also worked as the Chief Interior Design Consultant for Delhi Land & Finance (DLF Limited).
A masterfully designed dining room with favourable and dazzling accessories by Tanya Gyani
Tanya Gyani is famous for her creations of product designs as well. She has created admirable designs for various retailers like Michael Aram, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc. Her excellence in designing can be seen in the form of scented candles, wall art, gallery frames, trays, mirrors, boxes and faux botanicals.
Wall decor pieces designed for ‘Pottery Barn’ by Tanya Gyani
Designed gallery frames for ‘Pottery Barn’ by Tanya Gyani
Tanya Gyani’s designed tray for ‘Pottery Barn’ with a bunch of faux flowers in the background using the decoupage technique
A fascinating designed mirror by Tanya Gyani
She was awarded as one of India’s Top 20 Creative Futures by the British Council in 2006.
- Colour(s): All shades of green and purple.
- Dessert: A fresh fruit pastry or a fruit tart.
- Beverages: Masala chai and warm apple cider.
- Cocktail bars (in Tulum, Mexico): Be Tulum Hotel, ARCA Tulum in Quintana Roo and Todo Santos Bar
- Cafe: Mademoiselle Colette in Palo Alto, California.
- She has a Holland Lop bunny and an English Cream Retriever namely, Hugs Bunny and Bear.
Tanya Gyani’s adorable Hugs Bunny and Bear in a frame
- She finds arranging flowers a kind of self-care as it is calming and therapeutic.
- Her favourite part of every design project is creating a Moodboard.
One of the designed mood boards of Tanya Gyani with the accent of Portuguese tiles for a client
- She is so particular about her wall art at the home. It should be either a piece made by herself for the retailer or it should be bought from a quaint store by her while travelling.
- She grew up reading the collection of work of English Children’s writer Enid Mary Blyton. His creation, ‘The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies’ had a great influence on her.
- Black and white are a big no for her designs.
- She never works with the ‘less is more’ approach.
- Each work/arrangement of hers is handmade.
- She has also given shape to the residences on Palm Island which is famous for being a location where many huge events tend to happen.
- She often shares her other interests such as baking and preparing refreshing drinks including cocktails and mocktails.